Just In - February 14th Update for Google’s Email Sender Requirements

March 20, 2024

New Update for Google’s Email Sender Requirements

Google has finally released more information for their new sender requirements.

Let’s jump right into it.

The Timeline for Change

Google updated their Email Sender Guidelines FAQ page with more details. The enforcement of the new sender guidelines is not an instant shift. Google will gradually penalize non-compliant email accounts. This is designed to give senders enough time to adjust. Let’s break it down:

  • February 2024: The first phase has already started with Google issuing temporary errors for non-compliant email traffic.

These serve as a heads-up for senders to align with the guidelines. You may have noticed these email errors if you are not currently compliant with their new requirements. Here’s how to get compliant for Google’s new requirements.

  • April 2024: In April, Google will begin to reject non-compliant email traffic.

For example, if 75% of your emails meet their new requirements, a portion of the remaining 25% non-compliant emails will be gradually rejected. This will further give you more time to adjust your email policy and become compliant.

  • June 2024: June is important for 2 reasons.
  • Senders have until June 1, 2024 to implement one-click unsubscribe in all commercial, promotional messages. This is a final deadline for implementing one-click unsubscribe features in all commercial and promotional messages before Google will penalize senders with blocked emails or accounts.
  • Starting in June, any sender who has a spam complaint rate exceeding 0.3% as reported by users will not qualify for mitigation. Think of mitigations as a second chance from Google to send emails from your email accounts.
  • Spam complaint rates, along with other metrics, are determined and refreshed daily.
  • While a sender's spam rate is above 0.3%, they will not be considered for mitigation. Period.
  • Senders will only be considered for mitigation once their spam complaint rate falls below 0.3% for seven consecutive days.

Understanding Spam Rates

Spam rates play a pivotal role in their new requirements. Here’s the explanation of Google’s breakdown of spam rates:

  • Daily Calculations: Spam rates are calculated daily on Google Postmaster Tools. Keeping your spam rate below 0.1% is crucial to keeping Google sweet, and it’s imperative to prevent it from ever reaching 0.3% or higher.
  • Consequences of High Spam Rates: Exceeding the 0.3% spam rate threshold has severe consequences, including ineligibility for mitigation and a significant negative impact on email delivery to inboxes.

What Else Is At Stake?

As you can see, non-compliance has tangible consequences. Apart from the immediate impact of email rejections and spam folder deliveries, there's a broader implication for your email deliverability and sender reputation. Here’s what you need to know:

  • Technical Support Prioritization: Compliance isn't just about avoiding penalties; it's also about gaining advantages. Google has also mentioned that compliant bulk senders will also receive priority technical support for email delivery issues. This is huge!

Final Thoughts

Google's new requirements for senders are being gradually enforced, marking a transition towards more accountable and regulated email marketing practices. Make sure that you are compliant for Google’s new requirements with our Audit tool.

Just In - February 14th Update for Google’s Email Sender Requirements

Published on
March 25, 2024
Contributors
Samuel Chenard
Chief technology officer
Taylor Tabusa
Head of Business Development
Subscribe to our newsletter
Read about our privacy policy.
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

New Update for Google’s Email Sender Requirements

Google has finally released more information for their new sender requirements.

Let’s jump right into it.

The Timeline for Change

Google updated their Email Sender Guidelines FAQ page with more details. The enforcement of the new sender guidelines is not an instant shift. Google will gradually penalize non-compliant email accounts. This is designed to give senders enough time to adjust. Let’s break it down:

  • February 2024: The first phase has already started with Google issuing temporary errors for non-compliant email traffic.

These serve as a heads-up for senders to align with the guidelines. You may have noticed these email errors if you are not currently compliant with their new requirements. Here’s how to get compliant for Google’s new requirements.

  • April 2024: In April, Google will begin to reject non-compliant email traffic.

For example, if 75% of your emails meet their new requirements, a portion of the remaining 25% non-compliant emails will be gradually rejected. This will further give you more time to adjust your email policy and become compliant.

  • June 2024: June is important for 2 reasons.
  • Senders have until June 1, 2024 to implement one-click unsubscribe in all commercial, promotional messages. This is a final deadline for implementing one-click unsubscribe features in all commercial and promotional messages before Google will penalize senders with blocked emails or accounts.
  • Starting in June, any sender who has a spam complaint rate exceeding 0.3% as reported by users will not qualify for mitigation. Think of mitigations as a second chance from Google to send emails from your email accounts.
  • Spam complaint rates, along with other metrics, are determined and refreshed daily.
  • While a sender's spam rate is above 0.3%, they will not be considered for mitigation. Period.
  • Senders will only be considered for mitigation once their spam complaint rate falls below 0.3% for seven consecutive days.

Understanding Spam Rates

Spam rates play a pivotal role in their new requirements. Here’s the explanation of Google’s breakdown of spam rates:

  • Daily Calculations: Spam rates are calculated daily on Google Postmaster Tools. Keeping your spam rate below 0.1% is crucial to keeping Google sweet, and it’s imperative to prevent it from ever reaching 0.3% or higher.
  • Consequences of High Spam Rates: Exceeding the 0.3% spam rate threshold has severe consequences, including ineligibility for mitigation and a significant negative impact on email delivery to inboxes.

What Else Is At Stake?

As you can see, non-compliance has tangible consequences. Apart from the immediate impact of email rejections and spam folder deliveries, there's a broader implication for your email deliverability and sender reputation. Here’s what you need to know:

  • Technical Support Prioritization: Compliance isn't just about avoiding penalties; it's also about gaining advantages. Google has also mentioned that compliant bulk senders will also receive priority technical support for email delivery issues. This is huge!

Final Thoughts

Google's new requirements for senders are being gradually enforced, marking a transition towards more accountable and regulated email marketing practices. Make sure that you are compliant for Google’s new requirements with our Audit tool.

Your Website Title
Palisade - Email Spam Score & Compliance - Land your emails in the inbox and not in spam. | Product Hunt